The industry’s first Computer-Aided Dispatching (CAD) system was deployed by Union Switch & Signal at the Union Railroad Company in Duquesne, Pennsylvania in 1966, launching a new era of train control and track management. Today, Ansaldo STS continues to break new ground with intelligent systems designed to drive peak performance.
Whether Main Lines, High Speed or Mass Transit, Ansaldo STS offers the most technologically advanced solutions for Supervision and Traffic Control Centres all around the world. Our long and pioneering experience includes references in all continents.
A special mention goes to the Optimizing Traffic Planner (OTP), an advanced planning engine that solves complex logistics problems under changing operating conditions to maximize capacity and increase average velocity. Computational agents respond in real time to updated CAD and field data, issuing new movement plans that account for current conditions and all operating rules and constraints. Applied off-line, OTP can minimise inherent conflict within a new timetable before the timetable is used in service. Appllied on-line, OTP can product capacity gains of as much as 20% across a large freight oriented network. Applied to passenger oriented networks the gains are measured in terms of reduced delay minutes, reduced passenger compensation costs, reduced operating costs for both train operator and infrastructure manager, and capacity gains particularly where the timetable is recast to facilitate this benefit.
Traffic Control Systems
Ansaldo STS has developed solutions to supervise and optimize the utilization of complex infrastructures. The company excels at managing traffic in and out of the most demanding networks and stations such as Rome, Manchester or in the US.
Optimizing Traffic Planner™
Think about it. What’s an increase of just one mile per hour in average train velocity over your entire rail network worth to you? If your operation is like most, the answer is significant additional annual savings. Still, the question remains - how can you increase velocity in the face of capacity constraints and congestion problems?
Traffic growth reflects population growth, the impact of road congestion and sustainability issues on commuters and business travellers alike adds a further dimension. Land and capital for new physical capacity are at a premium – so the smart short term fix is to squeeze – more trains without more delays – but how?
Now your rail network can deliver more with Optimizing Traffic Planner™ from Ansaldo STS. This next-generation, real-time planning system provides the advanced tools you need to optimize network-wide train movement to improve overall velocity or increase available capacity.
The Optimizing Traffic Planner (OTP) is an advanced planning engine that solves complex logistics problems under changing operating conditions to maximize capacity and increase velocity. Computational agents respond in real time to updated control and field data, issuing new movement plans that account for current conditions and relevant operating rules and constraints.
This optimization is tailored to meet your specific business objectives, and is achieved no matter how complex your operations or logistics issues. Calculations are multi-threaded and continuous so for practical purposes the results are available in ‘real time’ and evaluate each of the option combinations available.
You don’t need a new signalling or dispatcher system to benefit from OTP – it can interface to pre-existing automatic route setting systems through making change to the very short term timetable (movement plan). These changes are then executed by your existing systems – think of it as a brain transplant – new and better intelligence working smarter for you 24/7, helping your existing assets deliver more.
OTP Features and Benefits
- Problem-solving algorithms optimize train movements according to your business objectives
- Can treat timetable, crew and rolling stock scheduling and utilisation issues holistically
- Powerful computational agents improve pools of shared plans to achieve desired results
- An off-line mode offers ‘what-if’ analysis for maximizing ROI
- OTP can also be applied off-line simply to identify inbuilt conflicts in new timetables before they move to implementation – gain without the pain of finding those conflicts in daily traffic
- A sustainable performance – trains can run ‘right speed’ to the next junction or meet so start stop operations are minimised – now look for the fuel and brake system benefits – as well as minimising environmented impact
The result? OTP ensures greater throughput, superior on-time performance, and higher asset utilization around the clock. And that’s just for starters.
Systems for Marshalling Yards
Since deploying North America’s first digital train classification yard system at the Argentine Yard in Kansas City in 1970, our focus on innovation has continued to advance the vital systems that influence precision railroad management. Today, our Yard Products Group leverages advanced technology know-how and in-depth understanding of industry needs to provide comprehensive yard systems that maximize daily operational efficiency.
STAR II Hump Process Control System (HPC) – Advanced software algorithms precisely control car movement from the hump lead to final coupling in the bowl track optimizing yard throughput. Robust classification features make it easy to create new trains.
Features and Benefits:
- Configurable, flexible platform adapts to specific customer needs
- QNX operating system provides real-time process control
- Easy-to-use point-and-click Windows user interface
- Personalized technical support for signal maintainers helps get more out of yard infrastructure
STAR NX System- Maximizing yard throughput is the key to providing precision service. The STAR NX entrance and exit system facilitates control and movement of switches through an easy-to-use PC-based platform with Windows user interface.
Features and Benefits:
- Easily configured routes save time
- Optional wireless radio control eliminates the need for wiring to switch machines
- Remote control field workstations provide convenient control and monitoring interface
Ansaldo STS provides the expertise, tools and technology enabling customers to expand their enterprise boundaries and interconnect. Sophisticated, robust applications selectively make Computer Aided Dispatching (CAD) data available on any enabled device, anytime, anywhere.
The Computer-Aided Dispatching Enterprise Services (CADES) platform makes CAD dispatching data available for use in any format and on any device. From thin-client web browser, through thick-client desktop and mobile devices, CADES distributes data to remote workers in the field and to office planners managing your business concerns. Naturally the CADES platform is also available to support our SCC and RCC control environments.
Features and Benefits:
- Develop customized mission-critical applications for improved business performance
- Secure SSL authentication stands alone or integrates with your existing framework
- Configurable data layout is modified via administration functions
- Services thousands of users with optimal performance
- An enabler for fundamental operational process improvement
The Remote Authorities (RA) application allows workers in the field to request and release track authorities via the web. Remote users can observe traffic on the tracks they are requesting the authority on. Redesigned authority review and approval processes reduce dispatcher involvement, saving time and potentially enabling access on a much more responsive basis than the current processes of some infrastructure manager.
The Trackline Overview (TOA) application presents a snapshot of the rail network in graphic format in a web browser.
Common Operational Picture (COP) provides the industry’s first integrated multi-organisation dispatcher-type overview of all freight and transit traffic in a designed region. Participating organizations can monitor train positions and device states for tracks, signal, switch, cleared routes, speed restrictions, authorities, etc.
Features and Benefits:
- Multi-operator overview of traffic allows coordinated train movement
- Any supervisory control system enabled with XML can participate
- Automatic updates to web browser in near real-time