A specific team handles Customer Satisfaction (“CS”) activities. The team is made of the managers of the various functions: System Assurance & Control, Railways & Mass Transit and Freight and Operations Business Units.
Customer Satisfaction activities consist of various stages and are carried out using different tools to accurately monitor customer satisfaction level and the progress of projects until their completion. These tools include:
- Customer Satisfaction Monthly Meeting: monthly meetings via videoconferencing, to discuss CS activities and reach decisions on the steps to be taken.
- Customer Satisfaction Quarterly Reports: quarterly reports prepared with the support of the business unit managers on critical projects. In 2016, 22 critical projects have been mapped. The Project Manager is responsible for reporting on critical points (in terms of planning, quality and costs) and the related mitigation action. A statistical analysis on the development of these critical points is attached to the report.
- Customer Satisfaction Survey: a series of one-on-one interviews with top representatives of a sample of customers. This survey begins with a letter signed by the CEO of Ansaldo STS sent to the customer’s CEO. It is carried out using a specific questionnaire attached to the letter to the customer. Since the end of 2012, 26 interviews have been conducted: Spain railways, Swedish railways (twice), British railways, Italian railways (two), French railways, Hyundai- Rotem (twice), Aurizon, Sydney Trains, Calibre Rail, Insigma (twice), CSX (twice), Union Pacific, BNSF and customers of the Taipei, Washington, Copenhagen (twice), Stockholm (twice) and Los Angeles metros). Customer feedback is sent after any corrective action has been defined and performed following an evaluation of the questionnaires received. Interviews with Ansaldo STS partners in the consortia also began (two interviews conducted in 2016).
- Complaints Management, the Project Managers are responsible for recording customers’ complains, which are sent each quarter to the Customer Satisfaction Coordinator, until the complaint is resolved. The Customer Satisfaction Team checks and records all information and, twice a year, prepares a global analysis. This analysis is used as the basis to calculate the “customer complaint” KPI.
- Customer Satisfaction of Project Teams, i.e. customer satisfaction is evaluated for each key project considering the following main aspects: contract value, project duration / delay, service quality and product quality. The Regional BU managers gather the results of these surveys from the Project Managers. Finally, the CS Team checks the global results and their consistency with expectations.
- Customer Satisfaction Reports: reports prepared half-yearly by the Customer Satisfaction Process Owner. These reports summarize CS activities in the period (CS of the Project Teams, complaints analysis and focus on various projects) and are sent to the company’s senior management. They are included in the Management Review.
Based on the Customer Satisfaction Survey and direct interviews with customers in 2016, the average scores comparing Ansaldo STS products with competitors (the range of scores goes from 1, extremely unsatisfied, to 10, extremely satisfied) are given below.
|Ansaldo STS products from a technical point of view||8.3|
|Best competitor products technically||8.7|
|Ansaldo STS products cost/value||6.2|
|Best competitor cost/value||6.32|